Friday the 13th is widely hailed as the most common superstition in the world. It’s the second one in two months this year, so I thought that I would explore the Phobia!!
The fear of Friday the 13th (known as paraskevidekatriaphobia) isn’t exactly grounded in scientific logic. But the really strange thing is that most of the people who believe the day is unlucky can offer no explanation at all, logical or illogical. As with most superstitions, people fear Friday the 13th for its own sake, without any need for background information.
It is the linking of Friday and the number 13 that make up the even more unlucky Friday 13th.
Facts or Myths.
- Never change your bed on Friday; it will bring bad dreams.
- Don’t start a trip on Friday or you will have misfortune.
- If you cut your nails on Friday, you cut them for sorrow.
- Ships that set sail on a Friday will have bad luck – as in the tale of H.M.S. Friday … One hundred years ago, the British government sought to quell once and for all the widespread superstition among seamen that setting sail on Fridays was unlucky. A special ship was commissioned, named “H.M.S. Friday.” They laid her keel on a Friday, launched her on a Friday, selected her crew on a Friday and hired a man named Jim Friday to be her captain. To top it off, H.M.S. Friday embarked on her maiden voyage on a Friday, and was never seen or heard from again. ( I don’t believe a word of it) .
- It was on a Friday, supposedly, that Eve tempted Adam with the forbidden fruit.
- In pagan Rome, Friday was execution day (later Hangman’s Day in Britain)
- Thirteen is significant to Christians because it is the number of people who were present at the Last Supper (Jesus and his 12 apostles). Judas, the apostle who betrayed Jesus, was the 13th member of the party to arrive.
- In 2006, a study by the RAC revealed that the number of personal injuries leading to hospital admissions because of road accidents had increased by as much as 52 per cent on Friday 13th.
- Christian legend holds that 13 is unholy because it signifies the gathering of 12 witches and the devil to form a covern.
- Hindu and Norse people believe that If 13 people sit down to dinner together, all will die within the year.
So are you a sufferer of paraskevidekatriaphobia or a skeptic? Will you be avoiding damaging mirrors, walking under ladders or looking for black cats…………………………Dare you ignore Friday the 13th!!!!!!